For sick and disabled travellers who have mobility difficulties and need to use wheelchair services, the staff will assist them in using the wheelchair without charging additional fees. Our staff will help you move from the airport to the gate or board (depending on the airport facilities).
The disabled refer to persons who are abnormal in or lose a certain tissue, function in terms of mental, physical, or body organizations, and lose all or part of the ability to perform a certain activity in a normal manner. The disabled include those who have long-term physical, mental, intellectual or sensory impairments. Such impairments interact with obstacles and may hinder the full and effective participation of persons with disabilities in social activities on the basis of equality with others. In specific, there are people with vision, hearing, speech, physical, intellectual, mental, multiple and other disabilities.
A disabled person eligible for flying refers to a disabled person who has purchased or holds a valid ticket, uses the facilities and services provided by airline, airport and airport ground service agents to arrive at the airport by taking the flight listed on the ticket, and meets the requirements of transport contracts that are applicable to all passengers, reasonable and non-discriminatory, but excluding stretcher passengers.
II. When to Apply
Sick and disabled travellers applying for the following special services should make requests at the time of seat reservation and no later than 48 hours before the departure time of the flight:
1. Consigning electric wheelchairs;
2. Wheelchair cabin (WCHC), or wheelchair onboard (WCOB);
3. Serving groups of passengers with disabilities who are eligible for flying;
4. Taking service dogs into the cabin.
Since sick and disabled passengers require special services and care, the number of such passengers on each flight should be limited to avoid affecting the services delivered to other passengers. Each flight on routes other than US-bound routes has the following limited number of unescorted disabled passengers requiring assistance services (excluding passengers using stretches), such as passengers requiring wheelchairs, passengers with seriously deformed legs who do not have artificial limbs, blind passengers with guide dogs or mentally retarded passengers who cannot understand instructions of the cabin crew:
|Number of flight seats||Quota||Number of flight seats||Quota|
(2) If the number of disabled passengers exceeds the above quota, accompanying persons shall be added at a ratio of 1:1, but the number of disabled passengers shall not exceed twice the number specified above.
(3) Each flight shall only carry one passenger on a stretcher unless specifically approved otherwise; the passenger on a stretcher shall also be accompanied by at least one medically trained person or family member during the flight.
(4) The number limit of disabled passengers on the routes of China Southern Airlines between the US and China is lifted, which means that on these lines there is no limit on the number of disabled passengers including the blind, the deaf-mute, passengers using stretchers or wheelchairs.
IV. Tips on Storage of Disability Aid Devices
1. We provide your disability aid devices with storage facilities and space on a first-come, first-served basis. If storage facilities and space are not available, the devices will be checked free of charge, with an additional out-of-list piece for the qualified disabled. The storage should conform to relevant provisions on security and air transport of dangerous goods by civil aviation administration.
2. Carry-on disability aid appliances are as followed
|Disability aid devices|
Crutches, collapsible wheelchairs, artificial limbs
Cochlear implants, hearing aids
|Tactile sticks||Multifunctional and simple visual aids, blind glasse|
1. To use special services, sick and disabled passengers shall apply in advance as per the time specified by China Southern Airlines, and they are allowed to be carried only after confirmation by China Southern Airlines. In case of failure to meet the requirements of time limit, quantity limit and travelling, China Southern Airlines has the right to refuse transportation. Passengers should ensure that the information and certificates submitted are true, valid and complete, otherwise the responsibility shall be borne by themselves.
2. Electrically-powered wheelchairs shall be checked for transport 2 hours before the check-in deadline of ordinary passengers and the shipment must accord with relevant provisions on carriage of dangerous goods.
3. Qualified disabled passengers must check in 2 hours before the check-in deadline of ordinary passengers if they need the carrier to provide boarding and deplaning assistance.
4. Special passengers are able to carry qualified service dogs without additional fees, which will be brought and transited in passenger cabins or cargo compartments. At the time of ticket purchasing and checking in, the passengers are required to produce the identity and health certificates of dogs, as well as entry or transit permit of animals by destination or transit countries for international and regional flights. If the destination countries prohibit the entry of animals, we have the right to decline checking the pets. And we shall not take any responsibility in the case that service dogs be refused entry because of uncompleted procedures, insufficient certificates or the violation of provisions of the destination countries. Guide dogs in passenger cabins should be muzzled and collared with a leash before boarding. They shall remain being collared throughout the flight, and not permitted to take seats or run at their will. During the transit, in case of any hurt, illnesses and deaths occurring to the service dogs, we shall not bear any responsibility.
1. Booking system for passengers with a hearing impairment
If you have a hearing impairment, please book your flight at our local offices according to the contact information listed in the Sales Office section on this website.
2. Pre-booking extra services
To offer you a better service experience, if you need special travel services, please contact the ticket office affiliated with China Southern Airlines in advance. If you fail to make reservation in advance, we will try our best to meet your needs as the case may be.
3. At the airport
Should a flight be delayed or canceled, or a change in flight schedule occur, China Southern Airlines shall inform you and all other passengers about the above situation and your accommodation arrangement at the boarding gate and the customer service counter.
A wheelchair will be provided for you to assist you with boarding and embarking from the plane - you do not have to apply for it.
We will do our best to arrange the most suitable seat for you according to your needs.
On our flights, 50% of our aisle seats have movable armrests. You can use these according to your own needs.
If the flight on which you are traveling has more than 100 seats available, you can take your own manual foldable wheelchair with you. We will be very happy to provide your wheelchair with storage space on a first-come, first-served basis on our flight. However, we highly encourage you to inform us about your wheelchair specifications in advance so that we can let you know whether enough space is available for storing your wheelchair. Currently, toilet wheelchair accessibility is restricted on some flights due to the limitations of certain aircraft types. Furthermore, we cannot always guarantee that an on-board wheelchair will be available. If you require an on-board wheelchair, we recommend you submit the application in advance in order to ensure your travel experience goes smoothly.
The informational and safety movies provided during your flight use high-contrast subtitles with both the English and Chinese versions for your convenience.
If our service(s) fails to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act, you may submit a complaint through the following:
Call the China Southern Airlines sales service hotline: 95539 (Domestic); +86-20-86682000 (International)
Or send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here to download: Americans with Disabilities Act.pdf (646.81 KB)
Passengers with wheelchairs
I. On Ground
We provide wheelchairs in every airport so that you can use them inside the airport terminal(s) and when you get on and off the plane. If you are travelling alone, please make requests at the time of ticket purchase or by calling 95539; if you have companions, you may also apply to us at the airport on the day of departure. However, facilities vary from airport to airport, and we sometimes need to inquire about the wheelchair service in advance from departure and arrival airports, so we suggest that you make requests at the time of ticket purchase, so that we can do our best to offer the services you need.
On international long-haul flights operated by China Southern Airlines’ wide-body aircrafts, we offer on-board wheelchairs to be used in the cabin aisle for passengers who cannot walk on both legs:
1. US routes
Guangzhou - Los Angeles - Guangzhou, Guangzhou - San Francisco - Guangzhou, Guangzhou - New York - Guangzhou, Guangzhou - Wuhan - San Francisco - Wuhan - Guangzhou.
2. Australia routes
Guangzhou - Sydney - Guangzhou, Guangzhou - Melbourne - Guangzhou, Guangzhou - Perth - Guangzhou, Guangzhou - Brisbane – Guangzhou, Guangzhou - Adelaide - Guangzhou, Guangzhou - Christchurch - Guangzhou, Shenzhen - Sydney - Shenzhen, Shenzhen - Melbourne - Shenzhen.
3. New Zealand route
Guangzhou - Auckland - Guangzhou
4. Europe routes
Guangzhou - London - Guangzhou, Guangzhou - Amsterdam - Guangzhou, Guangzhou - Paris - Guangzhou, Guangzhou - Moscow - Guangzhou, Guangzhou - Changsha - Frankfurt - Changsha - Guangzhou, Guangzhou - Wuhan - Rome - Wuhan - Guangzhou, Shenzhen - Moscow - Shenzhen.
5. Canada routes
Guangzhou - Vancouver - Guangzhou, Guangzhou - Toronto -Guangzhou
6. Middle East route
Shenzhen - Dubai - Shenzhen
Except on US routes, there is limited number of wheelchairs that can be carried on each flight. To book this service, please apply to the ticket office affiliated with China Southern Airlines at the place where the flight originates or call the Customer Service Center at 95539 48 hours before the flight departure. If your application is accepted through our reply, please visit the CSAir counters of the airport 2 hours before the check-in deadline for ordinary passengers. If you are accompanied, please declare at the time of seat reservation and check in together with your companions so that we can arrange adjacent seats for you.
III. Boarding Lift
If you are unable to use the stairs on your own, we will do our best to provide you with a boarding lift for flights that do not dock with a jet bridge.
IV. Wheelchair as Check-in Baggage
If you need to take a (manual or electrical) wheelchair during your journey or other mobility aids (walking sticks, crutches, walkers, motor scooters), please inform us of your requirements at the time of booking.
Unfoldable, manual or battery-powered wheelchairs may be transported as check-in baggage. Battery-powered wheelchairs shall be delivered 2 hours before the check-in deadline for regular passengers and shall conform to the corresponding regulations for the transportation of dangerous goods. The wheelchairs may be checked at the check-in counter or boarding gate, and claimed at the boarding gate or baggage claim area. It would be of great help to us in the handling of your wheelchair if you could bring the following materials or equipment to the airport:
a. Manuals for your wheelchairs and batteries
b. Special tools required for assembling your wheelchair
c. For lithium ion battery-powered wheelchairs, UN recognized testing documents proving that the battery meets the testing requirements stated in Section 38.3, Part III of the UN Manual of Tests and Criteria
Transporting wheelchairs for mobility impaired passengers is free of charge.
If you are using a battery-powered wheelchair or an electrical mobility aid, please complete your check-in procedures in advance (2 hours before the check-in deadline for regular passengers) so that we have sufficient time to arrange the loading of your wheelchair.
V. Other Disability Aid Devices
Disability aid devices that can be brought into the cabin: Walkers, crutches, walking sticks, artificial limbs, cochlear implants, hearing aids, tactile sticks, visual aids, and glasses for the blind.
If there are storage facilities and space in the cabin, passengers’ collapsible wheelchairs will be stored on a first-come, first-served basis; If there is no storage facility or space in the cabin, they will be checked as baggage free of charge.
Passengers Who Require a Stretcher
China Southern Airlines can provide a stretcher upon request from passengers. In order to confirm whether the flight can provide a stretcher, handle matters related to health certificates and arrange stretcher loading and boarding, please contact the ticket office affiliated with China Southern Airlines located in your departure city, or call the Customer Service Center at 95539 to make your request as early as possible, and no later than 72 hours before your flight departure time.
Each flight can only carry one passenger that requires a stretcher. Our stretcher equipment will be made available in the economy class cabin.
Passengers who require a stretcher shall be accompanied by at least one doctor or caregiver. Passengers may also be accompanied by family members or guardians, subject to medical certification stating that the patient does not require medical care during the flight.
Passengers requiring a stretcher shall pay additional fees for relevant services; please obtain more details about fees by contacting the ticket office affiliated with China Southern Airlines located in your departure city, or by calling the Customer Service Center at 95539. Please note that additional fees do not include the following:
1. Calling an ambulance, being hospitalized, or other relevant expenses.
2. Airfares and other expenses for accompanying persons.
II. Free Baggage Allowance
The free baggage allowance for passengers with a stretcher is 180 kg. The free baggage allowance for the accompanying person is calculated according to the seat class defined by the paid airfare.
III. Change and Refund
1. If you need to cancel your booking before departure, you are required to pay 5% of fares applicable to a passenger with a stretcher (individual airfare + additional stretcher fee) as a refund fee;
2. If you wish to cancel your booking after departure, you shall not be eligible for a change or refund. This category of booking cannot be changed at passengers' own discretion. Any such changes shall be handled as a refund at the passengers' own discretion.
Note: The method used to calculate the airfare above is only applicable to flight segments handled by China Southern Airlines. For passengers with a stretcher taking a flight operated by other airlines or for passengers whose flight includes flight segments operated by other airlines, the airfare will be calculated and charged according to the rules of the relevant operating airlines.
Click an airline logo to find out about the services.