Content provided by

Valid Travel Documents:

In order to ensure flight safety, the State requires passengers to provide such documents certifying their identity as prescribed by competent government authorities when purchasing air tickets and going through check-in procedures.

1.According to the relevant regulations of the Ministry of Transport and the Civil Aviation Administration of China, valid ID documents for travelling include: Resident ID cards, temporary resident ID cards, passports, certificates of military officer, certificates of PLA civilian cadre, certificates of compulsory serviceman, certificates of PLA sergeant, certificates of PLA civil service, certificates of PLA employee, certificates of PAP officer, certificates of PAP soldier, seafarer's passports for residents in Chinese mainland; Mainland Travel Permit for Hong Kong and Macao Residents, Mainland Travel Permit for Taiwan Residents, and residence permits for Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan residents; passports, certificates of diplomatic staff in China issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and permanent residence (identity) certificates for foreigners; other valid ID documents for travelling as stipulated by the Civil Aviation Administration of China. For residents in Chinese mainland under the age of 16, valid ID documents for travelling also include birth certificates, household registers, student ID cards or identity certificates issued by the public security organ at the place where residence is registered.

2. Disabled revolutionary soldiers shall purchase tickets and go through check-in procedures with the Certificate for Disabled Revolutionary Servicemen, and police officers disabled due to duty with the Pension Certificate for Disabled People’s Policemen.

3. For those unable to show identity documents for any reason, they may use the following documents or certificates for ticket purchase and check-in:

(1) Representatives of the National People’s Congress and members of the National Committee of the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference, may use the representative certificate of the National People’s Congress and the member certificate of the National Committee of the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference.

(2) Students of the academies of the People’s Liberation Army and the People’s Armed Police, may use the student card.

(3) Representatives attending the National Congress of the Communist Party of China, the National People’s Congress, workers’ congress, youth congress, women’s congress and model workers’ congress at national, provincial, autonomous region, and municipal levels, may use the temporary identity certificate issued by competent party, government or military department above county or regiment level (inclusive).

(4) For Chinese Mainland passengers, in case their resident identity cards were lost or stolen outside their residence registration places, they may use the temporary identity certificate issued by the public security organ where the case happened, or was reported.

(5) Infants under the age of two and children at the age of 2 – 12 may use residence booklet, temporary residence permit, birth certificate, one-child certificate or student card with photo for ticket purchase and check-in.

Special Note: Passengers shall use the same valid travel document when taking domestic flights, purchasing tickets, going through check-in and security check procedures.

As the transit or entry requirements for passengers with different travel documents vary in different countries and regions, we recommend you to consult the relevant embassy or immigration authority for the specific transit or entry requirements before buying the international air tickets to ensure you a smooth travel experience.

Notes for Tibet Entry:

According to the relevant stipulations, online ticketing and check-in services will only be available for passengers who hold the Chinese Resident ID Card. Other passengers who travel to or transfer at Lhasa, Nyingchi, Chamdo, Shigatse and Ngari will need to visit China Southern Airlines' Local office with the Tibet Travel Permit. Passengers shall bear all consequences resulted from violation of this regulation. Please read Travel Document Reminder for details. Thank you.

Note: When these four kinds of foreigners - foreign experts who take part in long term government multilateral or bilateral projects in Tibet, foreign cultural and educational experts who teach in Tibet, foreign students who study in Tibet, and staff of foreign non-governmental organization who perform cooperative projects in Tibet, want to take civil flights to enter the Tibet, they are allowed to buy tickets and go through check-in and security procedures at the airport by showing their valid Resident Permit in China and Foreign Expert Certificate (or Certificate for Overseas Students or Working Permit) issued by Tibet Authorities of Public Security and of Foreign Affairs; no Entry Permit for Tibet or Confirmation Letter for Travel in Tibet is required any more.