Content provided by


They can travel with you in the aircraft cabin or as baggage in the hold

Iberia does not permit the carriage of weasels (ferrets, pine martens, etc.)

Please find out what documentation you need[Open in a new Window] to travel with your dog, cat, tortoise, bird, etc. Bear in mind the legal regulations and conditions to take them.

You can request the service through your Iberia office or travel agency in order to guarantee the service.

Acceptance in the hold

Carry them in the hold in an appropriate cage or pet pack: resistant, secure, comfortable and ventilated. Contact the Booking Office when you buy your ticket.

Acceptance in the cabin

Take them with you in the cabin if they don’t weigh more than 8 kg. (including their cage or pet pack) with previous authorisation from the Booking Office

Legal limits and documentation

You can take your pet with you so long as you meet all the legal requirements and have the necessary documentation.

Exceptional cases

Countries with laws restricting animal entry

Animals are not admitted in the cabin (PETC) or in the hold (AVIH) on flights to/from Great Britain, we only accept animals as freight. Please speak with a freight agent who will made the booking with IAG Cargo. You cannot contact IAG Cargo directly. If you're entering the UK (always through London), your dog must meet the requirements of the Pet Travel Scheme offered by the UK Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs (DEFRA).

Ireland: on flights to Ireland only animals as freight can be accepted.

Brazil only allows the entry of birds that meet a series of requirements. More information

Argentina: Present an animal health certificate, issued by a licensed veterinarian, to the authorities that ensures that the animal is disease-free and has a rabies shot valid for a maximum of 1 year.

Panama: By order of the Panaman authorities, as of November 1, 2011 any pet that travels should have an export certificate for small species issued by the health authority of the country of origin, showing that it has been vaccinated for rabies, and a good animal health certificate, certified by the Panaman consul in the country of origin. The certificate of rabies vaccination should also be notified three (3) days’ before the pet's arrival. More information:

Spanish airports authorised for the entry of animals from non-Schengen countries

If you travel with your pet to Spain from a non-Schengen country, make sure your airport of arrival appears on the list of airports authorised by the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Environment:

  • Corunna
  • Alicante
  • Almería
  • Asturias
  • Barcelona
  • Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
  • Madrid-Barajas
  • Malaga
  • Palma de Mallorca
  • Santander
  • Tenerife Norte
  • Tenerife Sur
  • Valencia
  • Vigo

Travelling to/from the USA and with a connecting flight with another airline

If you are travelling with an AVIH (Live Animal in Hold) you cannot send it to the final destination in transit. You have to pick up your AVIH from the transit airport and check it in again with the other carrier, paying a charge for each. You must send your animal as air freight so it can travel in transit.

If you are travelling with a PETC (Pet in the Cabin), you will have to pay each carrier separately.

American Airlines has its own restrictions and regulations for checking in pets. Only guide dogs and sniffer dogs used in search and rescue missions may travel in the cabin. Animals that travel in hold may not be checked-in in transit, at the final destination. If you are travelling with American Airlines and wish to travel with your pet, find out how on the airline’s website, at the bottom of this page.

Different charges, fees or taxes may apply depending on the laws in each country.

Accepting guide dogs and emotional support animals.

They will only be accepted in the cabin when they accompany passengers who depend on them to get around. (In case of deaf passengers or those who need emotional support, a medical confirmation certificate will be necessary).
Certified instructors will also be able to fly with a service animal in the cabin with the same conditions.

They must be muzzled if they travel in the cabin.

They cannot occupy a seat and will travel next to the passenger in the place that disturbs other passengers the least.

They can travel without any additional charge both in the cabin and in the hold so long as they accompany a passenger with special requirements.

The animal’s weight will not be included in the passenger's free baggage allowance for the trip.

Regulations with regard to acceptance, documentation, waiver on the part of Iberia, type of cage or pet pack (if travelling in the hold) will be the same as for other pets.

To prevent any issues during boarding, provide this information to Serviberia : ahead of time.

If you want to travel to the United Kingdom with your guide dog or service animal(*), you have to go through a series of procedures established by the Department of the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs "DEFRA".

Contact the website: at least one week before the start of your trip for full information on the documents required and go through the process of obtaining pre-authorisation on entry.

To ensure that everything is ready and to provide the assistance you require on arrival, you must notify us of your intention to travel with a service animal in the cabin at least 72 hours before the departure of your flight.
When you check in, you have to present all the basic documentation (pet passport, health record and certificate of good health) along with the pre-authorisation obtained before. This is essential for embarkation.

(*) to these effects, the only animals the British authorities consider service animals are dogs and cats.

Travelling on IB5XXX flights operated by Vueling

You may not take rodents with you in the cabin, and AVIH (animals in hold) are not accepted.

If you are travelling on an IB5000 flight (Vueling) with a connection with another flight operated by Iberia or Iberia Regional, the same charges that Iberia applies regarding origin/destination will apply. On IB5000 (Vueling) point-to-point flights or on journeys where IB5000 flights connect with another IB5000, the cost of the service changes to €25 per leg on domestic routes and €40 per leg on flights to/from the Canary Islands or international flights.

Dogs considered dangerous breeds

According to AENA regulations, based on Law 50/1999, your dog must be muzzled to be able to pass the security check if it belongs to one of these breeds:

Pit Bull Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, Rottweiler, Argentine Dogo, Brazilian Mastiff, Tosa or Akita.

It will also depend on its build, muscle, height and weight.

The carrier may deny boarding to any animal that does not meet the abovementioned requirements without incurring any liability.

Breeds requiring special care: Brachycephalic animals

Brachycephalic animals are dogs and cats with a short, snub nose and a disproportionately broad head.

Conscious of the importance of caring for your pet, we cannot transport certain dog and cat breeds in the aircraft hold since they are more susceptible to heat stroke and breathing problems when exposed to stress or high temperatures.
If your pet is one of these, you can travel with it on board but it must meet the conditions for carriage in the cabin.

The breeds affected are as follows:

Dogs: Boston Terrier, Boxer (all breeds), Bulldog (all breeds), Bull Terrier, Brussels Griffon, Chow Chow, English Toy Spaniel, Japanese Spaniel/Japanese Chin, Mastiff (all breeds), Pekingese, Pit Bull (all breeds), Pug (all breeds) Shih Tzu, Staffordshire Terrier, Shar-pei, Affepinscher.
Cats: Burmese, Exotic Shorthair, Himalayan, Persian.

You can also contact IAG Cargo to find out how to transport them as cargo: 901 111 400; from another country (+34) 917481010

And remember

  • Your pet can travel in the cabin or as baggage in the hold
  • If it weighs up to 8 kg., including the cage or pet pack, you can take it with you in the cabin
  • Check that you have all the legal documentation and permits
  • You will require confirmation from the Booking Office
  • Carry them in a suitable cage or pet pack