Main Cabin Extra
A little more of everything
Enjoy more space with Main Cabin Extra seating, starting at $20. Seats are located in Main Cabin and offered on most flights, subject to availability.
Be one of the first to board after elite members with Preferred Group 5 boarding and get easier access to overhead bin space.*
Sit back and relax with more room to stretch out at the front of the Main Cabin.
You can bring 1 personal item and 1 bag with you for free. See all the restrictions before you board.
Free snacks and drinks
Beer, wine and spirits are on us; plus free Biscoff cookies or mini pretzels and soft drinks. Additional food or drinks may be available for free or to buy, depending on your route.**
Enjoy free movies and TV shows – on screen or your device.
You can buy Wi-Fi on select aircraft so you never miss a beat while you’re on board.
Book your seat
Look for the Main Cabin Extra icon when you choose your seats.
If you've already booked your flight, you can still buy a Main Cabin Extra seat. If you bought a Basic Economy ticket, boarding restrictions still apply.
You can buy Main Cabin Extra through Reservations, select travel agencies and airport self-service kiosks. If you have a credit card stored in your AAdvantage® profile, you can also buy on our mobile app.
Elite member access
Who gets complimentary Main Cabin Extra seats?
- AAdvantage® Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro and Platinum members
- oneworld® SapphireSM and oneworld® EmeraldSM members
All listed members are allowed complimentary access for up to 8 traveling companions on the same reservation.
AAdvantage® Gold and oneworld® RubySM members
Enjoy complimentary access within 24 hours of departure when seats are available***
Basic Economy fare tickets aren't eligible for complimentary/discounted access to Main Cabin Extra seats.
*Overhead bin space availability varies by aircraft
**Free alcohol is available on flights with full drink service
***Gold members who buy Main Cabin Extra seats on or after September 5, 2018 will no longer receive a 50% discount
- We make every effort to ensure you get your chosen seat, but seat assignments are not guaranteed.
- We reserve the right to change seats for operational, safety or security reasons.
- You must check in at least 30 minutes before departure and be at the gate 15 minutes before departure or you may lose your seat.
Main Cabin Extra seats
- Main Cabin Extra seats are on select flights operated by American Airlines and American Eagle and subject to availability.
- Seats are non-transferable and valid only on the flight purchased.
- We reserve the right to discontinue the sale of seats or refuse to sell seats to a passenger.
- Fees for seats are non-refundable with some exceptions.
Refunds issued for seats
We'll issue you a refund if:
- You pay to upgrade to First or Business
- You pay more for another seat on the same flight (but not if you change to a lower priced or free seat)
- You cancel your flight within 24 hours and booked at least 2 days before departure
- You cancel, rebook and buy seats on your new flight
- We cancel your flight and we're unable to get you a comparable seat on another flight rebooked by us*
- We delay your flight causing you to miss a connection and we're unable to get you a comparable seat on another flight*
- You’re denied boarding on an oversold flight and we're unable to get you a comparable seat*
*Unable to get you a comparable seats is defined as moving from Main Cabin Extra to a preferred or other Main Cabin seat or from an aisle / window Main Cabin Extra seat to a middle Main Cabin Extra seat
Request a refund
You can request a refund online if you paid for seats and you make changes to parts of your reservation, and you lose your paid seats on the unchanged segments.
Keep in mind you need to submit separate refund requests for your flights, seats and other purchases.