Carry-on restriction: powder-like substances
For international travel to the U.S., powder-like substances over 12 oz. / 350 mL should be placed in checked bags. Powders over 12 oz. / 350 mL in carry-on bags may be prohibited. Effective June 30, 2018.
All published bag fees are base rates according to travel dates and destination; applicable taxes are not shown.
From charges to weight and size, here's everything about our checked bag policy.
Make your journey easier and discover what to expect when packing your carry-on bag.
There are many common items that are restricted by the TSA.
Special items and sports equipment
From musical instruments to military bags, here's everything you need to know.
Traveling with pets
We’re making your pet our priority. Here are some guidelines to help make your journey smoother.
Traveling with children
Taking a trip with your child or infant can be child’s play. We’ll show you how.
First checked bag free on domestic itineraries
Limited-time: Earn 60,000 bonus miles after qualifying purchases
Your first checked bag is free on domestic itineraries for you and up to 4 people traveling with you on select
Citi® / AAdvantage® cards
Pre-paying for bags
Save time, pay at check-in
Don’t wait in line at the airport – check up to 3 bags when you check-in on aa.com or in the app. For more information about our pre-paid bags option, visit our customer service FAQs.
How does it work?
- You can choose to pay for up to 3 checked bags (per person) before arriving at the airport
- If the option is available on your flight, pre-payment is taken during check-in on aa.com or in the app starting 24 hours and up to 4 hours before scheduled departure
- If you're checking more than 3 bags you can add them at the airport; applicable oversize, overweight and excess bag charges may apply
- Charges are calculated based on standard bag sizes for flights; per person, each way
- Applies to customers traveling on American Airlines marketed and operated flights
- Combined bag allowance for domestic flights: pre-paid bag prices will be optimized across all passengers traveling together in a single reservation
- Other special bags with specific charge (i.e. checked pets) can’t be paid prior to airport arrival
- If you pre-pay for bags they are subject to the standard baggage terms, conditions and liability standards as bags paid for at the airport
- American Airlines reserves the right to change the rates, terms and conditions at any time prior to purchase with or without notice.
What if I change my flight?
- You can usually transfer bags you pre-paid for to new flights (changes to existing bookings), but not to other passengers
- If you take a different flight on the same day of original booking, the bags that were pre-paid will transfer
- If you pre-pay for bags you can’t use same-day standby
Can I get a refund?
- If your flight is disrupted or cancelled and you decide not to fly, you’ll be refunded in full to the original form of payment
- Refunds will not be granted if you:
- (a) Cancel your domestic flight on a non-refundable/non- changeable ticket (includes Basic Economy)
- (b) Decide not to fly without rescheduling or cancelling
- (c) Change your mind and decide you no longer need to bring the number of bags previously purchased
- Have a fully refundable ticket and you wish to refund your ticket (ticket will be refunded but bags won’t)
Bag delivery service
Bypass baggage claim
Whether you're traveling for business or pleasure on your next trip, let us bring your bags to you.
Flying on one of our partners?
From seating policy to lounge information, here’s everything you need to know about flying with our partner airlines.
Lost an item?
We can help you
If you’ve lost an item on a plane or in an American-operated area, at the airport or at a security checkpoint, visit our lost and found page and we’ll point you in the right direction.
Let us take care of you
We offer assistance at the airport, on the plane and upon arrival for a variety of needs including traveling with devices, disabilities, children and more.