New York JFK
All the information you need to enjoy a smooth journey through New York JFK airport.
British Airways operated flights arrive at, and depart from, Terminal 8 at New York JFK airport.
Experience the luxury of the newly renovated airport terminal with a bright and open check-in area, with dedicated lanes for a more efficient check in and connections. Indulge in some airport shopping before you fly with a wider range of shops, or relax in one of the elegant lounges available to Club and First customers.
Which London airport and terminal?
British Airways flights also operate to and from London Heathrow Terminal 3 and Terminal 5, as well as London City and London Gatwick airports.
Everything you need to know about flight connections with British Airways, including travelling between London airports.
Check when your flight arrives or departs, and if it is on time or delayed.
You must meet the following times to be able to travel:
- Check in closes 60 minutes before your flight departs.
- Pass through Security at least 45 minutes before your flight departs.
- Be at your boarding gate at least 30 minutes before your flight. Please check how long it will take you to get to the gate. If we have your contact details, we will try to contact you when it is about to close but we will not delay the aircraft's departure to wait for late customers.
The quickest way to check in is online, 24 hours before your flight departs.
- Check in at Manage My Booking and print your boarding pass.
- Use the British Airways app to check in and download your boarding pass to your mobile device.
When you need to check in at the airport on the day of departure:
- If you are travelling in a group of more than nine people, please use a check-in kiosk or go to a check-in desk.
- If your child is travelling alone, or with you but on a separate booking, please go to a check-in desk.
Check-in desks open at 05:00 and close 60 minutes before your flight departs.
|Economy (World Traveller)
|Lane 4 (British Airways only)
|Premium economy (World Traveller Plus)
Lane 4 (British Airways only)
(Dedicated lanes for premium economy (World Traveller Plus), Executive Club Bronze Members and oneworld® Ruby customers)
|Business (Club World)
Lane 1 (British Airways and American Airlines)
(Direct access to priority security lanes)
Lane 0 (British Airways and American Airlines)
(Direct access to priority security lanes)
If you have baggage to check in, drop it at a Bag Drop desk. Desks open three hours before the flight departure time but not before the earliest opening time of 05:30.
If you are travelling with hand baggage only and have already checked in, you can go straight through security to the gate. If your hand baggage exceeds your allowance, you may need to check it in and charges may apply.
You must enter airport Security at least 45 minutes before your flight departs.
Fast Track Security is available when you are:
- Travelling in First and Business (Club World) (plus one guest)
- British Airways Executive Club Gold and Silver Members (plus one guest)
- oneworld Emerald and Sapphire Members (plus one guest)
British Airways and American Airlines have partnered to offer three premium lounges at New York JFK Terminal 8. Check your lounge eligibility in the table below.
If you're flying with American Airlines, please check their lounge eligibilty.
|Greenwich (Terminal 8) 04.30 - 00.30
• Business (Club World) customers
• Executive Club Silver Members
• oneworld Business
• oneworld Sapphire Members
|Soho (Terminal 8) 04.30 - 00.30
• Executive Club Gold Members
• oneworld First
• oneworld Emerald Members
|Chelsea (Terminal 8) 04.30 - 00.30
• Executive Club Gold Members who earn 5000 Tier points in a collection year and 3000 Tier points each year thereafter travelling on a scheduled long-haul flight with British Airways or a long-haul, transcontinental or international short-haul flight with American Airlines.
• First customers travelling on a scheduled long-haul flight with British Airways, or a long-haul, transcontinental or international short-haul flight with American Airlines.
You need to be at the gate no later than 30 minutes before the flight departs. If we have your contact details, we will try to contact you when it is about to close but we can't delay the aircraft's departure to wait for late customers.
You will notice a group number on your boarding pass which shows your boarding priority. Please be ready to board the aircraft when your group is called.
If you want to take advantage of pre-boarding or priority boarding, please arrive at the gate early.
Pre-boarding is available when you are:
- Travelling with small children
- Requiring disability or mobility assistance
Priority boarding is available you are:
- Travelling in First, Business (Club World) or premium economy (World Traveller Plus)
- Executive Club Gold, Silver and Bronze Members
- oneworld Emerald, Sapphire and Ruby Members
If you arrive after your priority group has been called, you can use the priority lane to board at your leisure.
If you're arriving in JFK Terminal 8 and have a US or Canadian passport, a B1/B2 tourist visa or if you're travelling on the ESTA Visa Waiver Programme, you can use an Automated Passport Control (APC) kiosk to speed up your travel through immigration.
Instead of filling out a paper customs form, you can scan your passport, take a photograph, and answer a series of customs-related questions using the APC kiosk. Please then take your receipt and passport to a US Customs and Border Patrol officer to finalise your documents for entry into the USA.
- If you're travelling on an ESTA or a B1/B2 tourist visa you will need to have entered the USA at least once since 2008.
- Families or people living at the same address can also complete their transaction together at a single APC kiosk.
British Airways and American Airlines have partnered to offer three premium lounges at New York JFK Terminal 8. On your next trip, discover our take on some very famous neighbourhoods in London and New York – meet the Chelsea, Soho and Greenwich lounges. Whether you fly with British Airways, American Airlines or a oneworld airline, you can enjoy these relaxing and luxurious spaces before you fly, depending on your choice of cabin.
Sit at the circular champagne bar or pull up a chair for fireside cocktails in this elegant lounge. A la carte dining is also available to fuel you for your journey ahead. Available to customers travelling on a long-haul, transcontinental or international short-haul flight in First.
Take in the runway views while enjoying the food and drinks on offer. Catch up on emails in the work pods, read in the library, or rest in the quiet area. Available to Executive Club Gold Members.
This premium lounge offers chef-inspired meals and a stylish gin and cocktail bar to help you relax before you even step on to the plane. Available to business (Club World) customers and Executive Club Silver Members.
Disability and mobility assistance
If you need additional help for your journey, such as getting through the airport, boarding the aircraft or reaching your onward travel connections, please let us know at least 48 hours before you travel on Manage My Booking and we can arrange this for you with New York JFK airport.
British Airways operate from Terminal 8 at New York JFK airport.
Once you have disembarked from the aircraft and are in the terminal building, you will need to pass through Passport Control.
After passport control, follow the yellow signs for 'Arrivals/Baggage Reclaim' and look for your flight on the information screens to see which carousel your bags will arrive on.
Once you have your baggage, you may need to pass through Customs.
Getting to and from the airport
The JFK AirTrain and the Long Island Rail Road operate train services into Manhattan. AirTrain stations are located at all terminals at JFK. The journey time between JFK airport and Penn Station in Manhattan is around 35 minutes.
Taxis are available outside the Arrivals area at each terminal. The journey time to and from Manhattan is around 40-90 minutes depending on traffic.
Bus services operate every 20-30 minutes to and from Grand Central Terminal at Park and 41st (East Side), and Penn Station. Buses depart and arrive at the Express bus stop at each terminal, and the journey time is around 75 minutes.
View a map of New York JFK airport to help plan for your journey ahead.
Fly to New York
It's time to book your flight to the Big Apple and explore all that New York has to offer.
If you need to stay overnight, we offer a wide range of conveniently-located hotels.