London Heathrow Terminal 5
Terminal 5 offers a seamless airport experience with stylish shops, restaurants and luxurious lounges. Our partners American Airlines and Iberia also both operate from Terminal 5, making connections quick and easy.
Which London airport and terminal?
British Airways flights also operate to and from London Heathrow Terminal 3, as well as London City and London Gatwick airports.
Everything you need to know about flight connections with British Airways, including travelling between London airports.
Check when your flight arrives or departs, and if it is on time or delayed.
The Departures area is located on the top floor of Terminal 5. You must meet the following times to be able to travel:
- Check-in closes 60 minutes before long-haul flights depart and 45 minutes before short-haul flights depart.
- Pass through security at least 35 minutes before your flight departs.
- Be at the boarding gate at least 20 minutes before your flight departs. See the 'Boarding' section, below.
This three-step process is designed to make your journey through Terminal 5 simple:
- Step 1: If you don’t already have a boarding pass, collect it from one of our hosted self-service touchpoints.
- Step 2: If you have a bag to check in, you can tag and drop your bag at one of our hosted self-service bag drops.
- Step 3: After completing Step 1 and 2, you can proceed straight to security.
The quickest way to check in is online, 24 hours before your flight departs.
- Check in online at Manage My Booking and print your boarding pass.
- Use the British Airways app to check in and download your boarding pass to your mobile device.
- Once at the airport, head straight to the Bag Drop area in Zones B, C and D to check in your bags.
When you need to check in at the airport on the day of departure:
- If you are travelling in a group of more than nine people, please use a check-in kiosk or go to the Group Check-in area in Zone E.
- If your child is travelling alone, please go to the Family Check-in at Zone E. If your child is travelling on a separate booking from you, please go to a check-in desk at Zone F.
Check the information screens to find out which check-in zone you can use for your flight.
The following dedicated check-in desks are available:
|World Traveller Plus
Club World or Club Europe
Executive Club Gold, Silver and Bronze Members
oneworld® Emerald, Sapphire and Ruby Members
|Zone J (The First Wing)
Executive Club Gold Members
oneworld Emerald Members
If you have baggage to check in, take your bags to a Bag Drop desk. These desks are open at the below times on the day of departure.
Overnight Bag Drop is available if you are travelling on a flight departing before 10:00. You can check in your bags between 16:00 – 22:00 the day before.
You can drop off bags for others travelling with you, but they must be on the same booking and you must bring their passports and all travel documents, including health tests, required for the journey.
Once your baggage has been checked in, we won't be able to retrieve it, so make sure you have everything you need before you check in.
If you are travelling with hand baggage only and you have already checked in, please go straight through security and to the gate. If your hand baggage exceeds your allowance, you may need to check it in, and charges may apply.
|Cabin or Executive Club tier
Executive Club Gold, Silver and Bronze Members
|From 03:30 on the day of departure.
World Traveller Plus
|From 3 hours before your flight departure, but not before the earliest opening time of 03:30.
|From 2 hours before your flight departure, but not before the earliest opening time of 03:30.
Have your baggage collected from your doorstep, securely transported to the airport, and checked-in for your flight, allowing you to travel to the airport luggage-free and head straight to security when you get there. Available for flights departing from Heathrow, Gatwick, Geneva, Zurich and Vienna.
If you're travelling on an intercontinental flight, we need to check your passport and visa before you go through security.
- Baggage to check in: Your passport and visa will be checked at a Bag Drop or Customer Service desk.
- Hand baggage only: Once you have checked in, please go to a passport and visa check desk before going through security. You can find passport and visa desks at North or South Security. You can also scan your passport on one of our self-service touchpoints or speak to an agent.
You must enter airport Security at least 35 minutes before your flight departs.
Fast Track security lanes are available:
- When travelling in First, Club World or Club Europe (plus one guest)
- Executive Club Gold and Silver Members (plus one guest)
- oneworld Emerald and Sapphire Members (plus one guest)
You can use a dedicated entrance to the left of North Security that offers a more seamless security process and leads directly into the North Fast Track security lanes.
If you are travelling to a UK or Republic of Ireland destination, your digital photograph will be taken at airport security. When boarding the flight, the photograph will be checked. Once checks are complete, all photographs will be deleted.
Gate information at Heathrow airport becomes available shortly before the flight opens. After you clear security, please check the information screens at regular intervals and find out how long it will take you to get to the gate.
If you use the British Airways app, you will receive gate notifications directly on your mobile.
Finding your gate
Terminal 5 is made up of three buildings: Terminal 5A, Terminal 5B and Terminal 5C. Please check if your flight departs from the main terminal (A gates), B gates or C gates.
It takes approximately 20 minutes to get to B and C gates, so please always ensure your flight is displayed on the screens before leaving the main terminal. Then follow the signs to the transit train or use the moving walkway that offers easy escalator or lift access. The journey time is the same for either option.
You need to be at the gate no later than 20 minutes before the flight departs. If we have your contact details, we will try to contact you when it is about to close, but we can't delay the aircraft's departure to wait for late passengers.
You will notice a group number on your boarding pass, which shows your boarding priority. Please be ready to board the aircraft when your group is called.
If you want to take advantage of pre-boarding or priority boarding, please arrive at the gate early.
Pre-boarding is available when you are:
- Travelling with small children
- Requiring disability or mobility assistance
Priority boarding is available when you are:
- Travelling in First, Club World, Club Europe or World Traveller Plus
- Executive Club Gold, Silver and Bronze Members
- oneworld Emerald, Sapphire and Ruby Members
If you arrive after your priority group has been called, you can use the priority lane to board at your leisure.
Terminal 5 offers a range of family services and facilities, including exclusive check-in zones just for parents and children, where they can receive Skyflyer activity packs for on-board entertainment. Skyflyer Kids Zones can be found in Terminal 5 Club South, Club North and terminal 5B Club lounges, open daily from 06:00 to 21:00.
Browse a huge range of shops and outlets at the airport, including shopping services such as Reserve & Collect, Collect on Return and more.
Terminal 5 has five elegant departure lounges located in Terminal 5A and Terminal 5B. If your flight departs from Terminal 5C, please use the lounges in Terminal 5A or 5B, ensuring you leave the lounge at least 40 minutes before your departure time so you don't miss your flight.
|Galleries First Lounge (Terminal 5A, South) 05:00 – 22:30
|When travelling in First
Executive Club Gold Members (plus one guest)
oneworld Emerald Members (plus one guest)
|Concorde Room (Terminal 5A, South) 05:00 – 22:30
|When travelling in First
Gold Members at 5,000 Tier Points (and from 3,000 Tier Points each year thereafter)
|Galleries Club Lounge Terminal 5A (North and South) and Terminal 5B Terminal 5A: 05:00 – 22:30
Terminal 5B: 05:30 – 22:30
|When travelling in First, Club World or Club Europe
Executive Club Gold and Silver Members (plus one guest)
oneworld Emerald and Sapphire Members (plus one guest)
Temporary routes to airport lounges
At the request of the UK Government, all security scanners at all UK ports are being upgraded. While the works are carried out at Terminal 5, we’ve created temporary routes for you to access the lounges.
- Travelling in BA First Class or American Flagship First: Enter the Concorde Lounge to the right, straight after security.
- Executive Gold or oneworld Emerald members: Proceed down the central escalators opposite Harrods and follow the signs to the BA South Lounges to access the First Lounge.
- Travelling in Club World, Club Europe, Iberia Business or American Flagship Business, or Executive Silver or oneworld Sapphire members: Proceed down the central escalators opposite Harrods and follow the signs to the BA South Lounges. Alternatively, you can use the BA North Lounge on the upper level at the opposite end of the terminal.
London Heathrow is a large airport and for international flights it usually takes about 40 minutes to get to the Arrivals hall.
For a faster journey through the airport, you can use the eGates if you are over the age of 12 and are travelling with an eligible biometric passport from one of the following countries: UK, EU, EEA countries (Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein) and Switzerland, Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea and the United States of America or if a member of the UK Registered Traveller scheme.
If you are coming to the UK for a specific reason, such as short-term study, certain types of work or those travelling with children, you will need to see an officer on arrival.
After Passport Control, follow the yellow signs for 'Arrivals/Baggage Reclaim' and look for your flight on the information screens to see which carousel your bags will arrive on.
Once you have your baggage, you may need to pass through Customs.
If you're travelling in First or Business (Club World) or are an Executive Club Gold Member travelling on a long-haul flight, please feel free to visit the Galleries Arrivals Lounge.
It is situated on the first floor of the main terminal building (Terminal 5A) and can be accessed using the green lift. The lounge is open from 05:00 to 14:00. Here, you can freshen up with an invigorating power shower, help yourself to delicious food and drink or prepare for work. Capacity restrictions apply, so you won't be able to bring guests into the Arrivals lounge.
Disability and mobility assistance
If you need additional help for your journey, such as getting through the airport, boarding the aircraft or reaching your onward travel connections, please let us know at least 48 hours before you travel on Manage My Booking and we can arrange this for you with Heathrow airport.
Help points are available:
- Before security: in Departures, Zone E
- After security: in Terminal 5A, opposite Gates A20 and A21. The Lichfield Suite offers additional facilities for travellers with more severe physical or learning disabilities, including a height-adjustable adult-sized changing bench, hoist and showers. You can request an escort to and from these facilities by contacting us at least 48 hours before you travel.
Wheelchair accessible toilets and induction loops are also available throughout the airport.
Getting to and from the airport
Heathrow Express is the fastest way between Central London and Heathrow Airport, taking just 15 minutes from Terminal 3 and 21 minutes from Terminal 5.
Customers enjoy an excellent on-board experience with complimentary 4G Wi-Fi, a power socket at your seat, dedicated luggage space and easy access.
Children aged 15 and under travel for free on Heathrow Express, making it a family friendly way to get to and from Heathrow from Central London.
Customers holding Business and First tickets can use the Fast Track on departures from any London Heathrow terminal.
Executive Club Members can also collect 5 Avios for every £1 spent on tickets exclusively booked via ba.com.
National Express operates a network of services each day to and from London Heathrow airport. Unlike other coach operators, National Express will take you to the heart of Terminal 5 from towns and cities throughout the UK, making getting to the airport hassle free.
Heathrow to Gatwick coach services run 80 times a day and the journey takes up to an hour.
Book your return tickets now to ensure a great fare or book an open ticket for more flexibility.
London Heathrow airport is on the Piccadilly underground line, which takes you into central London in around 50 minutes. Trains run every few minutes, but not 24 hours.
The Elizabeth underground line operates two trains per hour offering a direct service between Terminal 5 and Shenfield via Stratford.
There are often improvement works taking place, especially at weekends, so always check the service before you travel.
There are several shuttle buses that run between local hotels and London Heathrow terminals. Please check which shuttle bus you need to take for your hotel.
Taxi ranks are signposted once you are in the Arrivals hall, or you can pre-book privately run minicabs.
Terminal 5 is on the Western Perimeter Road and has its own separate access road, reached from junction 14 of the M25 (if you're coming from the M4, exit at junction 4b and follow the M25 south to junction 14). The postcode for satellite navigation is TW6 2GA.
If you are meeting someone from an arriving flight, you must use the Short Stay Car Park. If you are bringing someone to the airport, follow the signs for 'Departures' to drop them off.
Make your journey easier with our parking partners. Leave your car at a nearby car park with quick transfers, drop it off right outside the terminal with valet parking, or combine an overnight stay with parking and transfers at an airport hotel.
Plus, earn 5 Avios per £1 spent when you pre-book car parking.
View a map of London Heathrow Terminal 5 to help plan for your journey ahead.
Fly from London Heathrow
Discover where you could fly to, including a wide choice of short-haul and long-haul destinations.
If you need to stay overnight, we offer a wide range of conveniently-located hotels.