Tea time with Justin and friends
Straight from his success at the Ryder Cup, European hero Justin Rose flew from Scotland to British Airways’ engineering hangar in London to take on a unique charity challenge to raise funds and awareness for the Kate and Justin Rose Foundation, set up by the golfing star.
Standing on the wing of a British Airways 747, which has a wingspan of 64m and average height of 6.1m above the ground, Justin was joined by former England football captain and BBC Match of the Day presenter Gary Lineker, Ex-Liverpool midfielder Jamie Redknapp, former England and Arsenal striker Ian Wright and fashion icon, Jodie Kidd. Their mission was to hit a succession of golf balls at a target up to 180 yards away to secure flights for the charity.
High winds proved challenging for the golfers with Justin skimming the target and Jamie Redknapp succeeding but only after his golf ball bounced and deflected off the green. “That was a lot more challenging than I expected,” said Justin. “I don’t think I’ve been faced with a shot quite as unique as hitting one off a wing of a British Airways 747! Ian Wright had the best shot of the day!" Watch the highlights below to see more.
Watch Justin Rose along with Gary Lineker, Jamie Redknapp, Ian Wright and Jodie Kidd tee off from the wing of the British Airways 747.
Our partnership with Justin
Our partnership with Justin continues our long-standing history of supporting the finest British talent.
Justin flew on to the golfing scene as a 17-year-old amateur during the 1988 Open Championship at Royal Birkdale, and has since gone on to win a number of titles, notably the US Open in 2013. He has won on the PGA Tour five times, including the 2012 WGC – Cadillac Championship. Justin also has six career titles on The European Tour, where he was leading money winner in 2007.
British Airways has supported Justin since April 2013, helping him to compete and train around the world. As he prepares to defend his major title, Justin has put together his ultimate 9-hole course from around the world. From a helicopter ride in the South African bush to a cliff top in Bermuda, Justin guides you around some of the most incredible links the world has to offer, set to create the perfect golf holiday whatever your level.
1. Legend Golf Safari: “The unique thing about this course is that when you book a tee time, you also get a safari trip – there could conceivably be a lion on the course!”
2. Lake Nona Golf & Country Club, Orlando: “The 4th hole at Lake Nona is my home hole – literally. The unique feature that I love is that the bunker leads into the water”
3. Port Royal Golf Course, Bermuda: “The 16th is one of the best looking fairways I’ve ever walked with an incredible view. Typically the wind is playing off the ocean and it’s one of the hardest you’ll play”
4. Riviera Country Club, Los Angeles: “The challenging 10th hole here creates more fives than it does Birdies. It’s a risk-reward hole - a great testing hole”
5. St. Andrews: “It doesn’t get any more iconic than this. You’re playing in front of the old town and it feels like an amphitheatre”
6. Emirates Golf Club, Dubai “The 8th hole here is an unsung hero. It has an elevated tee that gives you a real perspective on the contrast between populous urban life and the barren desert”
7. Pearl Valley, near Cape Town: “A great destination that couples golf and wine for an amazing experience. At the 4th hole there’s a creek that crosses the course, making for a technical challenge with a spectacular mountain backdrop.”
8. Merion Golf Club, Philadelphia “A very special place to play with history and great memories and beautiful views. It’s difficult to pick one hole but the 15th hole is a daunting tee shot where you can easily go out of bounds”
9. Augusta National Golf Club –. Last but certainly not least, the 12th hole at Augusta. It’s one of the caddies’ least favourites as judging the swirling winds there can be incredibly difficult. It’s at Amen Corner, one of the most beautiful parts of the course and a very special and magical place.
This competition is only open to Eligible Participants. An Eligible Participant is aged 18 and over who is not an employee of British Airways, a member of their family or of a BA group company or their families. BA reserves the right to verify the eligibility of all Eligible Participants. By taking part in this promotion, Eligible Participants confirm that they accept the terms and conditions set out below.
To enter the competition, participants must complete the competition card supplied within the Terminal Five Galleries South Lounge and return the completed card between 11 July and 30 October 2014.
Only one entry per person is permitted and BA reserves the right to wholly disqualify any person who attempts to enter more than once. All entries must be received by BA by 30 October 2014. Entries that are received after the competition closing date will not be counted. No responsibility will be taken for lost, damaged or illegible entries. No bulk or third party entries will be accepted. Proof of delivery is not proof of receipt.
There are a total of 3 prizes. Winners will be selected by an independent judge on the 30 August, 30 September and 30 October 2014. The winners will be the participants who place the X closest to where the golf ball should appear on the photo displayed on the competition card. In the event that 2 or more participants place the X the exact same distance away from where it should have appeared on the photo then the independent judge shall select the winner at random from such entries. The winners shall be notified by BA by telephone or email within 5 days of being selected.
The winners must accept the prize within five days of notification. If the winner does not confirm their intention to claim the prize within this time, a supplementary winner may be selected from the remaining entries at BA's discretion.
The prize comprises of a golf pin flag signed by Justin Rose.
No cash or credit alternatives are offered for any prize. BA reserves the right to provide substitute prizes of a similar value, should the specified prize become unavailable for any reasons beyond its control.
The promoters are in no way liable for the reproduction or indirect access via third party web sites or home page access or where any reproduction of the information relating to this promotion misstates or omits any of the information or terms and conditions connected with the promotion.
Personal data will be taken where necessary from all entries received but shall be limited to those details reasonably necessary for the administration of the competition. This information may be shared with any other third parties reasonably involved in the competition without liability to BA or such third parties.
Participation in the promotion constitutes the winner’s (and companion’s, if applicable) consent to BA’s and its agents’ use of winner’s name, likeness, photograph, voice, opinions and/or hometown and state for promotional purposes in any media, worldwide, without further payment or consideration and you confirm that you will obtain from any guest whom you invite permission for the promoters to use their name and likeness, for advertising and future promotional purposes without additional compensation
For a list of winners names, please send a stamped self-addressed envelope after 11 October 2014 to Nicky Hall, British Airways Plc, Waterside (HCAG), PO Box 365, Harmondsworth, UB7 0GB.
The Promoter’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into. BA reserves the right to cancel or amend without notice the terms of this promotion and any tickets issued in the event of major catastrophe, war, strike, earthquake or any actual or anticipated or alleged breach of any applicable law or regulation or any other circumstance beyond the promoter's control.
Promotional materials form part of these terms and conditions. This promotion is governed by English law and is subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English Courts.
The Promoter is British Airways Plc, Waterside, PO Box 365, Harmondsworth, UB7 0GB. Registered No 1777777.