Algarve holidays from
Go wild on this sun-soaked golden coast
Plan your perfect trip to the unassuming Algarve
Portugal’s southernmost region is renowned for its staggering coastline, majestic cliffs and sensational sunny climate. Picturesque plazas and quaint fishing villages create a romantic charm, whilst rugged fortresses command the landscape with their Moorish past. Its award-winning golf courses, golden beaches, excellent local wines and fresh seafood are just some of the reasons why the Algarve is so special.
Wander the Old Town of Faro – its charming, cobbled streets are scattered with a cascade of whitewashed buildings, irresistible al fresco restaurants and colourful markets. Beyond the towns, a hazy blend of citrus perfumes wafts down the tree-topped hillsides onto emerald golf courses that weave into the landscape. The sumptuous aroma of chargrilled Portuguese piri-piri sardines will tempt your tastebuds during your Algarve holiday. Book flights to Faro to uncover the region’s picturesque towns, luxurious beaches and ancient architecture.
Carefully selected Algarve holidays
Best hotels in the Algarve for all types of traveller
The Algarve has a wide array of all-inclusive hotels to suit every traveller. Whether you’re looking for a family-friendly hotel or luxury golf resort, discover your Algarve holiday with us. Vita Parc Resort & Spa has a two-Michelin-star restaurant which is a food lover’s paradise. Golf enthusiasts can enjoy the Hilton Vilamoura As Cascatas Golf Resort & Spa or Anantara Vilamoura, set amidst landscaped gardens where the Portugal Masters is held every year. The VidaMar Resort Hotel is ideal for adults looking to unwind. Meanwhile, the Blast Room at Martinhal Sagres has facilities including a bike pump track and outdoor Laser Tag. Tivoli Marina Vilamoura and Hotel Quinta do Lago are stunning beach resorts with relaxing outdoor and indoor pools. While luxury resorts include Pine Cliffs Hotel, Pine Cliffs Ocean Suites and Conrad Algarve.
Algarve hotels we recommend
Algarve holiday FAQs
Make the most of your Algarve holiday
For a true taste of the Algarve, make sure you don’t leave without sampling an authentic Portuguese custard tart. These flaky golden pastries are brimming with luscious custard that will leave you wanting more.
What are the best things to do in the Algarve?
1. Go birdwatching at Ria Formosa National Park. This Algarve attraction gives you the unique opportunity to see the famous galinha-sultana (sultan hen). Its bright red beak and blue feathers make it one of the most distinguishable birds in Portugal – which can often be seen on Portuguese pottery.
2. Tee off at The Victoria Golf Course, designed by American golf professional, Arnold Palmer. It’s the longest 18-hole golf course in Portugal and has served as the main venue for the Portugal Masters. The spacious course sits in stunning grounds with lakes and waterfalls.
3. Book a boat trip to Benagil Cave to complete your all-inclusive Algarve holiday. This natural sandstone strata formation stretches across the Algarve’s coastline. Don't forget to stop off at Benagil Beach, where you may even catch a glimpse of diving dolphins.
4. Dine at Vila Joya Sea, a glamorous two-star Michelin restaurant, where Austrian Chef, Dieter Koschina, uses fresh, in-season ingredients to create beautifully presented dishes which pack a punch. Guests can choose to eat at the informal Chef’s Table or romantic outside terrace, which boasts breathtaking ocean views.
5. Spend a day shopping at Quinta do Logo’s boutique mall, an open-air shopping experience with over 20 designer boutiques selling high quality goods. After a well-deserved day of retail therapy, grab a bite to eat at one of the delightful al fresco cafes or restaurants.
Where are the best places to visit in the Algarve?
The harbour town of Olhão, is one of the best places to visit in the Algarve. Hop aboard the replica of the Caíque Bom Sucesso fishing boat for a trip down the coast. In 1808, the historical ship warned of Napoleon’s impending invasion.
Otherwise, hike through the pretty mountain village of Monchique, where the locals prepare traditional Medronho brandy from wild Medronho berries. Afterwards, take a short detour to Silves. This historic town is just 20 miles away and is brimming with Moorish charm and inviting gift shops. An equally beautiful walk can be found at Fonte Benémola National Park, with its sparkling streams and fertile fauna. The peaceful park is also strewn with aged olive presses. Under three miles away, is the peaceful Querença village square, where you relax with a coffee and slice of the local almond cake.
Where is the best location to stay in the Algarve?
The Algarve is brimming with diversity, from all-inclusive resorts along its scenic coastline to historic towns.
Tavira is a beautiful town on the south coast of Portugal. Praia de Barril is a must-see spot for art lovers, with its abstract anchor cemetery, a reminder of the bluefin tuna that once resided in the waters. Want to experience authentic Portuguese cuisine? Alamancil is the best location for foodies, with three Michelin star restaurants. After a lazy lunch, Quinta do Lago is an ideal location for a spot of golf, known for its luxury five-star golf resorts.
Further south lies Quarteira, which has a fun-filled water park, Aquashow, with amazing whirlpools and slides. Armação de Pêra and Vilamoura are central bustling beach destinations, while Praia de São Rafael has a sheltered bay. It’s also a great base for exploring the neighbouring town Albufeira, with its bars and lively nightlife strip.
Meanwhile, Porches provides a perfect day out, where you can watch local artists create colourful, handcrafted pottery. Nearby at the fishing village of Carvoeiro, you can take a boat trip to Benagil Cave to appreciate the sandstone strata design of this natural rock formation. Stop off at Portimão to sample a traditional bowl of Açorda – a tasty, herb-infused bread soup. Then for a sedate afternoon explore Igreja de Santo António, a 19th Century Baroque church in the port of Lagos, which will stun you with its ornate gilded woodwork. As the sun sets, head west to Sagres – a surfer’s haven, with its majestic cliffs that expose the sea’s powerful foamy white waves.
We have teemed up with the UK's leading villa specialist, James Villas, so you can create a package, including your flights, villa and car hire, all in one place. We have a superb choice of villas in the Algarve, ranging from one to five-bedroom villas, all with private pools.
Hit the road
Hiring a car gives you the freedom to discover the Algarve. So, meander off the beaten track to find your own unique piece of the region. Begin by exploring the medieval city of Faro, followed by shopping at Portimao’s old quarter and kayaking in the coastal town of Lagos. Then, venture out to the unspoilt town of Tavira, where you'll find an assortment of untouched Moorish castles and monumental gothic and renaissance churches. Book your care hire to begin your journey across the Algarve.