By using the website www.ba.com and other online services, such as our mobile app, you agree that we can store and access cookies, IP addresses and use other methods in order to collect website usage data, and improve your online experience.
This can include information about your use of the website, the browser and device type you are accessing it from and where you are in the world (see 'How do we collect and use geo-location information?').
What are ‘cookies’?
Cookies are small files that are placed on your computer by websites that you visit or certain emails you open. They are widely used in order to make websites function properly, as well as to provide business and marketing information to the owners of the site.
- Our cookies will remember your chosen language and country so that when you go to the website the pages are in that language and the departure airports are in that country.
- If you're halfway through a booking our cookies will allow you to browse other areas of the website and then return back to your booking.
- If you are accessing the site from a company which has a British Airways extranet, a cookie will also help us recognise which company you are from, so that you are taken to the appropriate extranet.
Cookies are used for technical reasons to enable the efficient working of ba.com. For example, to:
- balance website traffic to ensure our customers receive a consistent and reliable service
- limit traffic to key parts of the website in order to maintain performance levels
Ease of use
Cookies are used to enhance the ease of use of ba.com for customers. For example, to:
- remember your language and country of choice and presenting relevant content
- keep track of customers’ Executive Club number when you have logged in
- remember your selected departure airport when booking a flight
Cookies are used to gather statistics on how visitors use our site. For example, to:
- gather feedback on customer satisfaction through our website survey
- gain insight into how visitors use the website so that we can make improvements to its usability
Cookies are used to enable us to present appropriate messages to you. For example, to:
- allow ba.com to serve up different versions of a page for marketing purposes
- control invitations on ba.com for instant credit card offers
- allow third parties to display appropriate advertising and to track its effectiveness
- display messages which offer a selection of products based on what you're viewing on ba.com, which are presented to you by our agency when you visit other selected websites. This is known as online behavioural advertising. For more information please see 'What is online behavioural advertising'?
You can choose to opt out of this type of advertising permanently by going to http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices
Please note though, that if you delete your cookies too, we'll no longer know that you've opted out, so the banners from our third-party will reappear when you visit other selected websites.
For more details on the cookies that operate on ba.com please go to 'More information about cookies used on ba.com'.
You may refuse to accept cookies by altering the settings on your internet browser (for example Internet Explorer, Chrome and Firefox). Please note that if you choose not to permit cookies some areas of our website may not function properly or be accessible.
Please note though, that if you delete your cookies:
- We will no longer know that you've opted out of online behavioural advertising, so the banners from our third-party advertisers will reappear when you visit other selected websites.
What is online behavioural advertising/ interest based advertising?
Online behavioural advertising (also known as interest-based advertising) is a way of serving advertisements on the websites you visit and making them more relevant to you and your interests.
Shared interests are grouped together based upon previous web browsing activity and web users are then served advertising which matches their shared interests. In this way, advertising can be made as relevant and useful as possible. Relevant ads can also be delivered based upon the website content you have just been viewing. This is known as ‘retargeting’.
For more information refer to http://www.youronlinechoices.com/uk/
How do I opt out of online behavioural advertising?
There are a number of sites which can help you opt out of online behavioural advertising from the third party advertising agencies that operate online behavioural advertising for website publishers.
Please note that opting out of online behavioural advertising using those services:
- does not mean that the advertising of British Airways’ products and services on our own websites will stop being personalised to your interests
- may not stop all online behavioural advertising because it only applies to those third party advertising agencies that have signed up to those services
- does not mean that there will no more advertising on this website or other websites you access. However, the advertising that you do see is likely to be less relevant to your interests
In addition, deleting browser cookies can remove your opt out preferences, so you may need to opt out again.
More information about cookies used on ba.com
The table below details the most frequently used cookies on ba.com and explains their use.
|BA_COUNTRY_CHOICE_COOKIE||Keeps track of your choice of country and avoids this choice being repeated.|
|BA_LANGUAGE_CHOICE_COOKIE||Keeps track of your choice of language and avoids this choice being repeated.|
|Apache||A “technical” cookie used to control use of BA infrastructure.|
|A “technical” cookie that expires at the end of a session on the website. Identifies the session in use by your PC. Required to make the site work.|
|Used to balance the load on BA's web site infrastructure. Expires at the end of your session.|
|previousCountryInfo||Keeps track of your previous choice of country.|
|BA_LOGON_PERSIST_COOKIE||Used to track if you are logged into the Executive Club on ba.com.|
|HOME_AD_DISPLAY||Temporary cookie which expires at the end of a session on ba.com. Tracks interest in homepage advertising.|
|NFS_BETA||Used by our main flight selection application to determine if a customer has used a previous test version. Expires after 6 months.|
|NFSCA_BETA||Used by our main flight selection application to determine if a customer has used a previous test version. Expires after 6 months.|
|BA_INSTANT_CREDIT_COOKIE||Used to track interest in BA/3rd party products.|
|BA_SHORTLIST_COOKIE||Used to construct shortlist of countries for BA's "Tripseeker" tool for researching holidays.|
Enables your browser to "remember" country of selected departure.
|FS_DEPT_AIRPORT||Enables your browser to "remember" airport of selected departure.|
|depDate||Enables your browser to "remember" requested departure date.|
|retDate||Enables your browser to "remember" requested return date.|
|numberOfNights||Enables your browser to "remember" the number of nights selected for a hotel request.|
|BA_ENROLMENT_APPLICATION_COOKIE||Used to indicate whether you enrolled in the Executive Club.|
|sifrFetch||Used to indicate that you have downloaded annual accounts.|
|comparePackage0||Used to control the facility to compare flight & hotel packages|
|comparePackage1||Used to control the facility to compare flight & hotel packages|
|comparePackage2||Used to control the facility to compare flight & hotel packages|
|Used to collect information about how visitors use ba.com. We use the information to compile reports and to help us improve the site. The cookies collect information in an anonymous form, including the number of visitors to the site, where vistors have come to the site from and the pages they visited.|
|Used to collect information about how visitors use ba.com. We use the information to compile reports and to help us improve the site. The cookies collect information in an anonymous form, including the number of visitors to the site, where visitors have come to the site from and the pages they visited.|
|Used by BA to trial new features and services on ba.com.|
|v1st||Used to collect information about how visitors use ba.com. We use the information to compile reports and to help us improve the site. The cookies collect information in an anonymous form, including the number of visitors to the site, where vistors have come to the site from and the pages they visited.|
|Used to present appropriate content to customers who have visited ba.com|
|Used to track effectiveness of advertising|
|Used to display relevant advertising|
Last updated: July 2014
© British Airways Plc