Skip to Navigation

Visa in a passport.

If you're looking to make a smooth start to your journey, you need to make sure you have the right documents, such as a valid passport and the relevant visas.

To help, we've summarised some of the key considerations and requirements here - but it's not a full list of all possible requirements around the world. It's your responsibility to ensure you have the right documents to be allowed to travel.

Passports and ID cards

Visas and other travel documentation

How to check if you need a visa

Depending on your nationality and the purpose of your journey, you may need a visa, or an equivalent form of authorisation, for every country you enter as part of your journey — even if you are only in transit or connecting from one flight to another in the airport of that country without going through border control — known as a transit visa.

This is in addition to a valid passport.

There are several ways you can check if you need a visa:

Check if you need a visa via the IATA Travel Centre - it's free to check and also includes passport and health requirements, as well as customs, currency and airport information.

If you need a visa, our partner VisaCentral can help - it's free to check and they’ll tell you exactly what documents you need to get one. Plus, as a British Airways customer, you’ll get a 30% discount on VisaCentral service fees should you need help with an application.

Check if you need a transit visa to connect through the UK - even if you’re only connecting from one flight to another, you may need a transit visa, such as a Direct Airside Transit (DATV) visa or a Visitor in Transit visa, to connect through the UK.

Check if you need a visa via the Sherpa online search tool below. Sherpa can also help obtain many e-visas, and advise of other possible information you may need for your travels.

Electronic Travel Authorisation (ETA)

An ETA will soon be required for people travelling to the UK who do not need a visa, including children and babies. It will be electronically linked to your passport and will give you permission:

  • To visit the UK for up to 6 months for tourism, visiting family and friends, business or to study.
  • To visit the UK for up to 3 months on the Creative Worker visa concession.
  • To transit through the UK – including if you’re not going through the UK border control.

An ETA will be required from 15 November 2023 when travelling from certain countries, with more being added to the scheme over time. Please check if you require an ETA.

Read further information and apply for an ETA or watch more about ETA.


Entry requirements and other travel documents

Advance Passenger Information (API)

Travel schemes

COVID-19 information