Use your Avios to explore the world
- Fly to any destination, in any class, where there's availability.
- Fly with British Airways, Iberia, American Airlines and our oneworld® and other airline partners.
- Pay Avios plus a cash amount for taxes, fees and carrier charges.
- If you don't have enough Avios for your chosen flight you can pay a cash amount to reduce the Avios required.
- Get an even better deal on flights within Europe and southern Africa with Reward Flight Saver.
Flights that you book using Avios are called reward flights. You can take reward flights with British Airways, Iberia and our oneworld and other partner airlines, wherever there's availability. You pay Avios plus a cash amount to cover the taxes, fees and carrier charges.
Reward Flight Savers are our best value reward flights. You pay the Avios and a flat fee in cash while we pay the taxes, fees and carrier charges for you. It's available on return flights in Europe and southern Africa wherever you see this symbol.
We'll always show you the Reward Flight Saver fare when it's available - just make sure you have collected at least one Avios in the past 12 months.
If you're not eligible for Reward Flight Saver we'll show you the standard reward flight price instead.
A reward flight consists of:
- an Avios amount
- taxes, fees and carrier charges
The price you pay for your reward flight depends on the date, destination and your class of travel. The easiest way to work it out is to use our reward flight calculator.
Our destinations are priced according to zones, which are based on the distance between the departure city and the destination city. The further away a destination is, the higher the zone and the more Avios you'll pay.
The table at the bottom of this page shows the full Avios price for a return flight for each zone.
Peak and off-peak dates
For reward flights with British Airways, you will pay either a peak or off-peak Avios amount, depending on the date of your flight. Two thirds of the year is off-peak, including every Tuesday and Wednesday. When booking reward flights, you can choose all peak dates, all off-peak dates, or a mixture of the two. The taxes, fees and carrier charges you pay are the same for both peak and off-peak dates.
Taxes, fees and carrier charges
The taxes, fees and carrier charges vary according to travel date, carrier and route flown and are calculated when you book your flights.
The highest taxes, fees and carrier charges amount charged across all routes to date is £584.41/$910.35 in economy class. The actual taxes, fees and carrier charges amount for your journey in economy will be displayed when you make a booking and should be equal to or less than this figure.
Taxes, fees and carrier charges will be charged in the local currency equivalent of the value shown and will be higher for premium economy, business and first class.
Reward Flight Saver fees
With Reward Flight Saver, you pay Avios plus a low flat fee instead of the taxes, fees and carrier charges.
Our current Reward Flight Saver fees are:
- British Airways flights in Europe - £35/€42 return in economy and £50/€60 return in business
- Comair flights in southern Africa - £56/ZAR700 in economy and £64/ZAR800 in business
If you don't have enough Avios for your chosen reward flight, or would like to save some for your next reward, you can reduce the Avios cost by paying an additional cash amount. The fewer Avios used, the more you make up in money.
You'll be presented with a range of these Avios & Money payment options at the checkout, where available. Our reward flight calculator includes the full Avios & Money options for any route:
In addition to the Avios & Money prices you will also need to pay the taxes, fees and carrier charges unless you are purchasing a Reward Flight Saver.
If you are purchasing a Reward Flight Saver with Avios & Money, the flat fee will be included in money amount. You will not see the flat fee as a separate amount in the final price quote.
Should you need to change an Avios & Money booking from a peak date to an off-peak date, we will be unable to refund any difference in the money portion of the price, however, you are able to cancel the original flights for a full refund and make a new booking.
Purchasing, transferring and sharing Avios
There are even more ways to top up your Avios to reach your next reward:
We have partnerships with a number of other airlines, including our partners in the oneworld alliance, so that we can offer you a greater choice of destinations for your reward flights.
When you search for reward flights we'll show you availability on British Airways first. We'll then show you availability with partners for this flight and where we don't operate to a destination or we don't have availability, as long as you choose to include partners in your selection.
For assistance booking with a specific partner, please call your local Service Centre.
Working out the cost
The number of Avios required for partner flights may vary from British Airways, depending on the route and distance travelled.
As with British Airways, Avios prices for reward flights with Iberia vary according to peak and off-peak dates. Iberia's peak and off-peak calendar dates differ from British Airways', except for Iberia flights from London to Madrid, which are priced as per the British Airways calendar and Avios rates.
Our calculator will show you the Avios cost of flights with British Airways and our partners for journeys with up to one connection:
For flights with two or more oneworld partners, or British Airways plus two or more oneworld partners, use our table to find out what you need to pay.
In most circumstances you will be able to cancel or change reward flights subject to availability and an associated service fee. See our booking and service fees for details.
- Some changes may require additional Avios, for example when changing from an off-peak date to a peak date. We'll show you the cost in Manage My Booking or explain it to you over the phone before making any changes.
- When changing from a peak date to an off-peak date, we will refund any difference in the Avios price. However, for Avios & Money bookings, we will be unable to refund any difference in the money portion of the price. You are able to cancel the original flights for a full refund and make a new booking instead.
- Cancellations must be made at least 24 hours before the first flight in your itinerary to be eligible for a refund.
- changing a British Airways reward flight from an off-peak date to a peak date
- changing a British Airways reward flight from a peak date to an off-peak date and where you require an immediate refund of the Avios difference (you can make these changes online but the Avios will be refunded about ten days later)
- if the reward flight booking was made using any type of voucher, such as a Companion Voucher or Travel Together Ticket
- if the reward fight booking contains a connecting flight
- if the flight has been upgraded using Avios