Hold baggage checked in
To make your flight with Iberia safer and more comfortable, transporting your baggage must meet certain conditions so it can be carried out free of charge.
When you leave your baggage at the check-in desk or at the Fast Bag Drop (Baggage Delivery Point), you will receive a label (receipt) that you must retain until you collect it at your destination.
Size and weight of baggage
Make sure that you comply with the following size and weight limitation so you can take your baggage free of charge:
- Size (standard) : the total length+width+height of each item must not exceed 158 cm, including strap, pocket and wheels (expect for certain special baggage)
- Weight (standard): Each item that you check will have a free maximum weight of 23 kg. If the item exceeds 23 kg and weighs up to a maximum of 32 kg, an excess baggage charge of €60 per item will apply. (see exceptions for Iberia Plus clients) Tickets issued with resident discount in The Canaries, Balearics, Ceuta and Melilla, an excess weight charge of 15€ will be applied on the first suitcase, except for IB5000 series flights. Under no circumstances will baggage in excess of 32 kg* be accepted.
* Certain individual items of baggage (pieces), such as musical instruments, TV cameras, commercial spare parts, etc., weighing between 32 kg and 45 kg may be allowed, taking into account special excess weight and with a charge of €150.
If you wish to transport special sports equipment that exceeds the established sizes and weights, please consult the information available about special baggage.
Number of free items allowed
The number of items allowed included in your trip is always the one that appears on your ticket.
||3 standard standard(4)
|Full Tourist (Y)
|2 standard items
||1 standard item
|Short and medium haul
Domestic and European flights and
Flights to/from Africa (3) (except Angola) and
The Middle east
||2 standard item
||1 standard item
|Tourist Express (domestic flights) (5)
||0 standard item
|Tourist Express (International flights) (5, 6)
||1 standard item
Benefits for Iberia Plus clients
(1) To/From Brazil, 2 pieces are permitted for all economy classes. The authorised weight per bag is 32 kg instead of 23 kg, a benefit which is applicable on the return journey as well as the outbound.
For passengers travelling between Spain and Peru or Colombia , 2 pieces of 23 kg are permitted for all economy classes. This new baggage allowance is only for tickets issued as of 7 January. Except for IB7XX code flights operated by Lan between LIM and MAD.
(2) A free baggage allowance for 2 standard items in tourist applies to/from Angola.
(3) A free baggage allowance for 3 standard items in Business and 2 standard items in tourist applies to/from Equatorial Guinea, Nigeria, Senegal, Ghana and Mauritania (the application period for tourist class to/from Equatorial Guinea is from 16/01 to 20/11).
(4) Standard item: maximum size and weight 158 cm and 23 kg.
(5) IB code flights from 3600 to 3999 (operated by Iberia Express).
(6) New baggage allowance for tickets issued as of 18 October 2012
Children holding a Child ticket (between 2 and 11 years of age) or an infant ticket (under 2 years travelling with an adult) will have the same baggage allowance as an adult and, additionally may take a foldable buggy/pushchair.
If you wish to check in extra items to the free baggage allowance, you will have to pay an additional cost for excess baggage.
Travelling on connecting flights and/or with another airline.
Remember that each airline that operates a flight sets the free baggage allowance that passengers can take on its flights without any charge and in line with its weight, dimensions and content limitations and the conditions of each airline. Details about the airline that is operating your flight are available at bookings management. Check with the operator airline to confirm your free baggage allowance and other restrictions.
- The most beneficial free baggage allowance for the customer will apply to direct Iberia flights (origin - final destination) with several connecting routes. If you have bought different tickets, each free baggage allowance will be apply separately to each ticket.
- If you are travelling by connecting an IB5XXX flight with an Iberia or Iberia Regional flight, the Iberia baggage carriage conditions will apply throughout the whole of the journey to your destination, both in terms of baggage allowance and in terms of excess.
If you are travelling on an IB5XXX flight and/or in transit between IB5XXX flights, the free baggage allowance will be one piece of baggage weighing 23 kg.
When the weight of the piece is more than 23 kg, every kilo over will be subject to a €12 surcharge, up to a maximum of 50 kg. The surcharge per additional piece is €25 payable at the airport plus €12 per kilo of the weight of that piece.
The policy of the operating company is that these surcharges for excess baggage weight or number of items apply to each section flown and not to trips (departure-arrival airport).
- If you are travelling on a code share flight, i.e., if your flight number corresponds to the IB-4000 or IB-7000 series, you will have the baggage allowance which appears on your ticket for the flights in question. For excess weight, excess baggage and the like, the baggage regulations of the airline operating this flight will apply.
- If your ticket includes Iberia flights or flights by another airline, the free baggage allowance of the company operating the main route will apply. If it is Iberia, the first airline will apply the free baggage allowance that appears on the ticket. If you have bought separate tickets and for different airlines, the free baggage allowance of the corresponding operator airline will apply to each ticket.
- Additional free baggage allowances offered by each airline will only be valid for flights by that airline.