British Airways uses 3 types of interview: face-to-face, telephone and video interviews. Typically, interviews at British Airways are competency-based i.e. we will be asking you for examples of when you demonstrated a particular skill or quality. Prepare yourself by having examples of when you have demonstrated key competencies required for the job (look at the job description for guidance). Some of your best examples may be where things went wrong – don’t be frightened to use them, tell us what you learnt. In addition to the competencies, we’re likely to ask about your motivation for the role and establish your fit with the company and team you’d be working in.
You may wish to consider using the STAR approach to help you structure your answers:
SITUATION or TASK
- Describe the situation or task
- Be specific about the example – what and who was involved, don’t generalise – give real-life examples
- Describe the action you took – we want to know what you did
- Describe what you did, not what you might or should have done
- Describe the outcome e.g. what happened? What was the consequence? What was the reaction? What did you learn?
- Prepare for the interview as you would a face-to-face interview
- Answer honestly and concisely
- Remember that we can’t see you so speed, tone and clarity of voice are even more important that usual
- They typically last about 30 minutes and are designed for us to find out more about you and your suitability for the role but also for you to ask questions
- You will be sent details of how to log on and your user details
- Complete the interview in a time and place where you won’t be disturbed
- Questions will be presented on screen and you will have a certain time to answer each question
- Treat the video interview as you would a face-to-face interview.
- You should allow about 30 minutes to complete a video interview
- Most recruitment campaigns at British Airways will involve at least one face-to-face interview.
- Typically they are conducted by 2 trained interviewers and last about an hour
- You will also have the opportunity to ask questions about the role or company